Saturday, September 19, 2009

Buzz Shake prototype v. 1.0

So to commemorate Food for Thought retiring the buzz shake, and also to drown my sorrows following the hideous end to the Nebraska - Virginia Tech football game, I attempted my first recreation of this delicacy. My initial ingredient list included:

1. Approximately 3 scoops of Ben and Jerry's Creme Brulee ice cream (a seemingly strange choice, I know, but it was on hand and worked pretty well)

2. Approximately 2 tablespoons of Larry's Beans "Yes, it's Decaf" Sumatra blend, ground (decaf owing to the lateness of the hour)

3. Hershey's Special Dark chocolate syrup

4. Half and Half

Successes of v. 1.0: Good taste - the mixture was a bit on the sweet side, but had a nice blend of coffee flavor and creme brulee-ishness.

Flaws: Too many coffee grounds. This resulted in a slightly gritty texture that made the shake more difficult to drink than I would have liked. Also, the grounds were decaf, which eliminates one of the main appeals of the buzz shake. The overall texture was also a bit soupy, which was probably a result of me blending it too long. While there was enough overall coffee flavor, the flavor wasn't as rich as I would have liked. Next time I'll substitute coffee ice cream and caffeinated coffee, which should remedy these minor flaws.

I'm willing to experiment until I get it right. All in the name of milkshake science.

1 comment:

  1. Just curious - have you considered contacting FFT to ask for the recipe?

    And btw, had no idea they'd discontinued it. I'm here for the week and was planning to visit there. I may now need to reconsider.

    ReplyDelete